Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Lilly & Owen!


o

g
My babies are THREE! I can't believe it! And Owen keeps telling my that he's not a baby, he's a big boy :) I have to keep telling him that he'll always be my baby, even when he's bigger than me.

It feels like more of a birthday week, than just one day. We had a great birthday party Saturday with great friends and family. The weather didn't cooperate, it was freezing, so we had to keep everyone inside, but we still had a great time. There was a dozen kids 4 and under in our little house, loaded up on sugar, hehe. It was a dress-up pirate and princess party. We had stuff for the kids to wear, and I was surprised that most of them really didn't want to wear the hats, eyepatches, tiaras, and jewelry that we supplied...those stubborn toddlers.


Monday morning, their actual birthday, after an exhausting birthday weekend.


Our neighbor "aunt" Lisa, and Aunt LaLa came in full dress - so great!


The littlest princess and our friend Veronica.


Lilly helping Owen blow out his candles. That's what big sisters are for.


Pirates and Princesses



Lilly loves Lisa & LaLa




I had planned on just buying a bunch of cupcakes like last year, but a few weeks before the twins birthday, I was inspired by a friend to make the cakes. I have fond memories of my mom making really neat cakes for my brother and I, so I decided to continue the tradition. Normally this is something I would jump at anyways, but I think the idea of doing two cakes at once was what was stopping me. I found some great cakes on line and was able to pretty much just copy them. I think they turned out pretty great - I was quite proud :) The kids loved them too, and that's the most important part. I had so much fun...I'm already getting excited about making Paul a fun cake for his birthday.


Paul and I both agree that the past three years has seemed like a blink, and also a lifetime. I would never want to go back to newborn twins again, but it is sad to think they will just keep getting bigger and bigger. Luckily I have a backup baby :) I'm proud of what we've done as parents, and I believe we have grown right along with Lilly and Owen. Now if we could just get a little more sleep!

The kids have had a lot of fun looking a photos of when they were born the last few days. The only thing Paul and I both noticed was that we both looked a lot younger 3 years ago! That's OK, I wouldn't have it any other way. I do believe that you shouldn't let your kids be your identity, or live through them (that can be hard when you're a stay at home mom). But I can say that my life would not feel complete without them..all 3 of them. These little people truly do complete me.


Now that the twins are 3, we are moving to "big kid" beds this weekend. Their cribs convert to toddler beds, so it will be easy to transform their beds. We've been dreading this move for months, but they officially look silly in cribs, so I think the time has come. I'm really hoping it's one of those things that turns out to be no big deal.

Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate, we are so blessed to have you all!

2 comments:

Shipley Family said...

Happy Birthday Lilly & Owen! Those cakes look great! They look better than anything I can do & I took two cake classes! :)

Mamaw said...

Loved the walk down memory lane in the form of pictures...like you said, it seems like the twins were just born yesterday...and now Ginger is almost one! It's been an amazing journey. Can't imagine better parents than the two of you!Love you,
Mom