Thursday, February 25, 2010

Things That Aren't Normal.

We've had a busy week with some excitement, and things out of the ordinary.


1. Twins loving on each other.

This is definitely something not normal. I came from putting Ginger down for a nap, to see Lilly & Owen so sweet! Like any siblings, they spend most of their time NOT being sweet to each other.


2. We went to church.
OK so I admit it, this is NOT normal for us. The twins go once a week to the Presbyterian Day School, and last Sunday was PDS Sunday, basically a way to get people like us to go to church. So we did. The service was their "contemporary" (I think) service, so even though Paul and I grew up going to Presbyterian churches, we were way out of our element. No Morning Has Broken Hyms here... it was all drums, guitars, and projector screens. The kids had a blast and Lilly was literally dancing in the aisles to the music. Good thing she's cute. Owen loved watching the band play, which seemed like about half the service. They did surprisingly well sitting through the service and got to go sing a song with their peers during it too. Sorry, no picture proof that we actually went to church but I promise we did! And the walls did not fall down on us.

3. Lilly ate caviar.
So after church we went to brunch with Paul's family. It was a typical nice buffet with the omelet station etc. I took Lilly to see what else she wanted, and I held her up because I thought it would be fun to let her pick what she wanted on her plate. Well we walk by various salads, meats, and veggies, and so far, she doesn't want any of it. Then we come upon that platter that is a requirement at a Sunday Brunch, even though nobody really eats it. The one with a smoked salmon, and various capers, stinky cheese, etc. On it is also nicely layed out little rows of black and red caviar that unsurprisingly has not been touched . Lilly sees that, and says "I want that!" OK. So I take the itty bitty fancy spoon and put a little of each on her plate, snickering to myself. So we make it back to the table, and she immediately eats it. She looks confused. I'm pretty sure she thought it was little blackberries and raspberries if I had to guess. None the less, she eats it all. Grandma takes her back again to get more food, and low and behold the girl comes back with more of the caviar, and eats it again. And looks confused again. We didn't go back for thirds, we'd had enough amusement. And of course, a picture:




4. SNOW!
As I write this it is 67 and sunny, a perfectly gorgeous day. 48 hours ago, it was snowing...and not just a little! This is probably the most snow I have seen in Texas, in at least 10 years. Dallas tends to get some snow every now and then, but outside Houston? Not so much. It totally caught me by surprise. I had heard the forecast, but didn't really buy into it. Huge, beautiful snowflakes fell for several hours. Owen absolutely loved the snow and stayed out in it for quite awhile. I was really hoping we'd actually have enough for a snowman, but not quite. We did have enough to make a few snowballs when Daddy got home though. And like any good Texan, I have dozens and dozens of pictures to document this rare event!








Our house is 40 years old, and I'd be willing to bet it's never had this much snow!


5. Babies being born too soon.
Unfortunately, premature birth isn't normal, but it still happens way too much. Please help my friends and I join together to raise money for March Of Dimes. The Woodlands Moms of Multiples (of which I am an active member) raises money each year for the March Of Dimes and also participates in the March for Babies Walk held in April. My goal is to raise $500 for this great cause. Our team's goal is to raise $15,000.

As many of you know, Lilly and Owen were born at 35 weeks (average for twins, 40 weeks is full term) and spent just under a week in the NICU. We are very blessed that they had no real issues and are healthy crazy 3 year olds today! Several friends in my group have given birth to their precious babies at 32, 28, even 25.5 weeks. It's not an easy or fun journey for them to watch their tiny little miracles stay weeks or months in the NICU, praying each day that the next will be better. That's why the March of Dimes is close to our heart. MOD's mission is to have all babies born healthy one day.

So, please give what you can. No amount is too small (even $5 is greatly appreciated!). As an incentive, I'm going to match whatever you donate, up to $250, to help reach my goal.

If you are related to me by blood or marriage, I will be deeply hurt, and just might have to de-friend you on FB, if you don't make a donation (kidding. mostly.) So give how ever much feels right. Come on, it'll make you feel better. Just do it. Now. Before you forget.

Thanks!





No comments: