Friday, April 16, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes

If you ever want to see yourself how others see you, listening to what comes out of your kids' mouths is one way, I think. Lately I've noticed that the twins, Lilly especially, have gotten in the habit of repeating things that I say. I figure the things they say are probably the phrases that I use most often. This is what I've been hearing a lot of lately:

We DON'T scream at the dinner table!

It's OK if I need to go peepee in my pull-up. It's not like an accident.

You'll always be my baby, now matter how big!

YOU don't say that word!

I'm so proud of you!

It's such a beautiful day!

O Dammit.

Ah well, you have to admit that hearing your little angel say their first swear word is hilarious, I don't care how much you try to pretend it's not. It is. Even the 2nd and 3rd time are pretty funny as you try to muffle your smirking laugh behind your hand. But then reality sets in and you remember that you are now an adult, and not 19, and that now it's sort of not funny anymore. Because they go to "school" now, and repeat things you say, obviously. And as much as you're pretty sure most other mommies must also drop the F bomb or various other words at least every once in awhile on accident, that doesn't mean you want your kid to be the one all the teachers are talking about while the wee ones are napping.

So that being said, we are making a strong effort to cease all swearing. I've never considered myself a huge swear-er, but it's amazing how much you catch yourself saying bad words when you are making an effort not to. Or when your 3 year old points it out to you and suggests a time out.

Moving on.

We went to King's Orchard last Sunday morning to pick strawberries. We went last year when the twins were barely two and I was grossly pregnant. This year was much better. We had a lot of fun and the kids really did pick their own with a little guidance from us. I don't think I must have eaten any of the strawberries we picked last year probably because of the gestational diabetes I had. Because I'm sure I would have remembered how yummy they were otherwise. I guess this is the first time I've ever had fresh-from-the-vine ripe strawberries. They were SO yummy. And juicy. Perfect.

Like most 3 year olds, my kids love strawberries. And as good as the strawberries are, the orchard does use various nasty chemicals to support their crops. So I didn't want the kids to pop too many in their mouths before we could wash them. I told them they had germs on them and we needed to wash them before we ate them. They kind of understand the concept of germs so that worked pretty well. Lilly kept asking "does this ONE have germs mommy? I don't think this one has any germs. It's OK if I eat this one." I decided to live a little and be carefree, and just let them enjoy the moment and eat some fresh-picked berries. And just enjoy seeing the true pleasure in their eyes. In spite of the fertilizer, fungicide, and pesticides I'm sure they just consumed. So was it worth it to drive 25 minutes, and pay double what you would at the store to pick you own strawberries? Without sounding too much like a Mastercard commercial, I'd have to say it really was. I love making memories.












If you liked my last post about eating meatless and stuff, good! I'll be back with more. I have a lot of things on my mind I really want to write about and can't decide if I should create a new blog or just write on here. I'm thinking I want to keep this more about my kids and family, and start up a new one. But then again that's kind of ridiculous given that I post about twice a month huh? We'll see. Maybe I'll turn a new page. I really do like writing...

No comments: