Thursday, April 8, 2010

This & That

I know they say the older you get, the faster the months go by, but it never feels more true than March. I can't believe it's already April, and a third through at that. The good news is we can't complain of boredom any time recently. There's always something to do and the weather has been ideal. We've had spring break, Paul's birthday, and Easter all in the past few weeks.

My parents came for a few days during Spring Break. I like to take advantage of extra hands so we took a trek down to the Houston Museum of Natural Science where I've had free tickets burning a hole in my pocket for months. Our main goal was to visit the Butterfly Room, and the kids loved it. If you haven't been, it's basically a big glassed-in terrarium full of butterflies and other amphibians. The twins loved it. What's not to love about butterflies and lizards? They also liked seeing the big dinosaurs in the entrance and had a pretty great time. Going on a rainy day during spring break probably wasn't my greatest idea ever but we had a good time and I'm looking forward to a few return visits.

Paul's birthday is always during spring break. He didn't take a day off or anything but I made him a nice cake and we had a steak dinner. He always likes to go to an Aggie Baseball game for his birthday so we hit Olson field that Sunday. Unfortunately, it was crazy windy that day. CRAZY WINDY. I tried to pretend like I was enjoying myself for several innings. But really. We tried to carry hot chocolate into the stands, and the hot chocolate was blowing out of the cup. Now that's crazy. So around the 6th inning, the twins and I left. Actually I think they were still having an OK time but it looked better if I was leaving for their sake and not my own selfish reasons. We enjoyed french fries and coffee in the comfort of the McDonalds across the parking lot until the game was over. Unfortunately the Ags lost to Tech.

Next we went to Wings n More, an Aggie standard, where we watched the Ags lose yet again in basketball, to Purdue. Paul has a theory, or maybe more like an observation, that whenever he goes to College Station to watch the Aggies play a sport, whether live or on TV, they lose. Seriously, I think he's like 1 for 9 or something. Being the superstitious person that he is, we may not be making any more trips to Aggieland in the foreseeable future. A big thanks to my friend Michelle for watching Baby Ginger on our day of fun. I wish I had taken a picture of those two girls but I forgot. She was a good sport and watched her for the better part of the day, and said she had a good time. And she was still smiling when I picked Ginger up. She mentioned she didn't get much "Ginger time" at the twins birthday party, so I figure that made up for it. hehehe


We had a nice Easter and the twins loved the multiple egg hunts they went on over the course of several days. Of course, they don't really understand the concept of finding eggs. This year I decided that perhaps the Easter Bunny could be a little more sneaky with egg placement. I suggested s/he not just throw them out onto the grass in plain view, but be a little creative. I'm not talking hide them under huge bushes or up in trees, I just mean like on the other side of a tree trunk or on the swing. Perhaps we overestimated the ability of 3 year olds. Most of our egg hunt was spent having us point at an egg, the kids walking right past it numerous times, and us pointing again and giving exact directions. Oh well.




I've been in a major sewing phase lately. I made this little bunny rabbit for my littlest Bunny's first Easter. I hope she likes it because I'm pretty proud of it.


Kids at the museum next to a dinosaur. ROAR!


Ginger and Gran



Lilly loves to touch bugs and stuff.



Owen doesn't.





We're not really dressy people but I saw this idea on Etsy and had to make Owen this tie shirt. Doesn't he look super sharp?



I loved letting the kids paint outside. Something out of the normal and definitely a special treat!



First time to dye Easter eggs.




I made this tote bag and thought it came out pretty cute. Don't worry Michelle it's just practice for the super-awesome one you're gonna get ;)


The picture doesn't do it justice but this rose bush is just brimming with beautiful pale orange roses. It's an antique rose we picked up at the Rose Emporium in Brenham a few years ago. It's really taken off. I love this time of year!

No comments: