Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'll be there when the Bluebonnets Bloom

We finally made it out to the Bluebonnets this year.

Just in case you don't know, the Bluebonnet is the Texas State Flower. They start blooming in late March, on the highways, in fields, everywhere. To drive by a field of them can be almost breathtaking. Drive past any large field of them on a Saturday in April, and you will see oodles of cars pulled over with families and such taking pictures. It's a Texas Tradition. Seeing Texas in bloom this time of year almost makes up for the misery we all know we are soon about to bear. Unforgiving heat. And mosquitoes. I guess the flowers are nature's precursory peace offering.








Want to know how many takes it took to get those 5 pictures? 48. Yeah, that's right. So I hope you enjoyed them. And I learned something today. Apparently it's not illegal to pick Bluebonnets. All my life I've been told "Don't pick the Bluebonnets!" "It's against the law!" Now I hear that's just an old wives tale. That there was an article in the paper today. I had already told the kids the police man would put them in jail if they picked them. And now I hear it IS OK to pick them. From Grandma. Who's picking them right and left while the kids watch with their jaws open.

1 comment:

redcitydesign said...

interesting - usually it IS illegal to pick state flowers